Typophile

node 31176

Right now I’m still hashing stuff together in Illustrator, trying to master bezier curves and such. I want to start maybe putting stuff together into an actual font file. I have FontForge, but talk about a learning curve! Youch! Add that to the fact that I have to run it on X11 on my mac, and it doesn’t seem the best learning environment.

I’m wondering if TypeTool is the best next step to follow? I’m a broke student, so buying a full-fledged Fontlab or Fontographer isn’t really an option right now. What do you guys think? Should I just wait and save the dough? Or should I spend the money and try to learn what I can right now?

unknown

I saved and bought FontLab, seeing it as an investment, like most great applications. You learn a lot from using great tools or creating your own to suits your needs.

unknown

Dan,

wait for some four weeks or so ;)

Regards,
Adam Twardoch
Fontlab Ltd.

unknown

INSIDER GOSSIP!

Alright! Thanks!

unknown

Dan, I agree with you about Fontforge; it has the same problem most F/OSS design software does, namely that the time it takes to figure it out could pay for commercial software that has a better interface and great help files. And trying to make X not look like crap on OS X isn’t worth the bother.

Thanks for your post Adam. I was about to buy Typetool.

unknown

Ditto. Thanks Adam.

unknown

Dan, jpad, Linda,

Note that all products from Fontlab Ltd. carry a 60-day money-back satisfaction guarantee. This means that if you buy a product today and Fontlab Ltd. releases a new version within two months, you can buy the new version and have a refund for the old version credited against your purchase — this is functionally equivalent to “buy version 2 today and get version 3 free in 2 months” (if the new price is the same as the old one, otherwise you’ll need to pay the difference). If more than 2 months go by, you would need to pay the upgrade price.

However, as we’re very close to releasing all-new TypeTool 3, you may as well hold off for a few weeks unless you have a prompting need to get something done right now.

Currently, TypeTool 2 is $99. We have not yet announced the pricing for TypeTool 3 but my guess is that it will be in the same price range.

Adam

Captured from web.archive.org on 3 Apr 2007. view this capture